Fort McMurray Rebuild
BILD Alberta supports new measures to protect Wood Buffalo residents from unqualified or unscrupulous contractors.
Municipal Affairs Minister Danielle Larivee announced on June 29 that amendments to the New Home Buyer Protection Act and the Safety Codes Act. Builders will be required to complete a builder declaration through the New Home Buyer Registry before applying for a building permit in Wood Buffalo. The changes also allow information to be collected from the builder, including residential construction history, corporate and financial history, and outstanding fines or orders. Click here to read the news release. Information for builders is available here and the builder declaration can be downloaded here.
Former CHBA – Alberta CEO, Jim Rivait, made the following statement at Minister Larivee’s news conference: “Good builders will be able to comply and we believe that will raise confidence levels when choosing a contractor. This is especially important when opportunists are likely to make unrealistic claims about how quickly they can build a home in Fort McMurray. Rebuilding the community will be a long process that will need patience and coordination. It will also require skilled professionals who stand behind the homes they build instead of skipping town if problems come up. There is no short cut to success and we are pleased to see the government step up with increased consumer protection measures at this critical time for people and the community.”
Minister Larivee also announced that information sessions will be held later this summer to educate home owners and builders about their rights and responsibilities. Details about the sessions will be released soon.
The Association has called for a coordinated response to the devastating Fort McMurray wildfire and has met with government, industry and other stakeholders to offer information and share solutions to help the community recover. We will continue to be a partner in the process and are currently finalizing the framework of a working group to provide industry input and expertise.
BILD Alberta's Economic Analyst, Richard Goatcher, has prepared a Special Report: The Fort McMurray Housing Market - Before the Fire. It includes all the key housing statistics for the community and is helpful in understanding the scale of the challenge and industry's capacity to respond.
Read news coverage about CHBA - Alberta's views on rebuilding Fort McMurray:
- Housing experts urge Fort McMurray to co-ordinate, plan carefully for rebuild
- Contractors say co-ordination needed as focus turns to rebuilding Fort McMurray
- Rebuilding Fort McMurray to be long, slow process
Here are other information sources:
- The Alberta government’s Emergency Updates Page provides the latest information and related links.
- Governments are matching donations to the Red Cross. The website YMMHelp.com has other ways to help.
- The Insurance Bureau of Canada has information on coverage for victims.
- CHBA National offers advice for consumers who will be building or renovating a home through the Get It In Writing campaign. Members throughout Alberta can be found through Local CHBAs.