MGA: Status as of June 22, 2017
• CHBA – Alberta and UDI Alberta continue to be in regular discussion with the Province regarding the Provincial Transportation Levy. This is a very complex issue that requires considerable discussion amongst numerous stakeholders. We have requested that the Province set aside the time necessary to craft the regulation. This is not possible based on current timelines so we have requested work on this specific issue be delayed until all other MGA-related policies and regulations have been finalized. Click here to review the recent submission prepared by CHBA – Alberta and UDI Alberta.
• The key regulations for our industry are anticipated to be released at some point over the summer and will be subject to the same 60-day posting period.
• No new information has been provided on City Charters despite our repeated requests. The fiscal framework is the second component of City Charters and should have been released at this point. We continue to pursue every avenue to gather more information.
• On May 17, 2017 the Province passed Bill 8 – An Act to Strengthen Municipal Government. With the exception of the Provincial Transportation Levy, the majority of changes related to proposals highlighted in the Continuing the Conversation discussion paper released in November 2016. To learn more about these proposals, please click here.
• Bill 21 was officially approved in December 2016. This featured the majority of the major changes to the MGA. To learn more about out the key changes and impact on our industry, pleased click here.
Timeline of Events
Click here to view a complete timeline of the MGA Review Process to-date.